An Unconventional Hero Returns: A Sneak Peek into the Anticipated Sequel
In a world where superhero films are a dime a dozen, “Deadpool 3” is set to break the mold once again. The third installment of the Deadpool franchise, produced by Marvel Studios and Maximum Effort, is not just another sequel. It’s the 34th film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU), and it’s making history by integrating the famously R-rated Deadpool into the MCU while retaining its unique flavor.
- Hugh Jackman’s Wolverine Returns. Despite the character’s death in the movie “Logan” (2017), Hugh Jackman is reprising his role as Wolverine in “Deadpool 3”. The film will not interfere with the events of “Logan” and will occur before it. The return of Logan is the result of a narrative device Marvel Studios came up with that could be used to move around timelines.
- Jackman’s Intense Preparation. To prepare for his role as Wolverine, Hugh Jackman embarked on a vigorous workout routine, which included consuming up to 8,000 calories a day.
- Deadpool 3’s Integration into the MCU – “Deadpool 3” is the first film in the Deadpool series to be produced by Marvel Studios and is integrated into the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU). Despite this, the film retains the R-rating of the previous Deadpool films (sorry kids!).
- The Quarreling Dynamic! Jackman described Logan and Deadpool as opposites with a “quarreling dynamic” that would frustrate Logan.
- The Road Trip That Wasn’t… Ryan Reynolds, who plays Deadpool, revealed that “Deadpool 3” was initially intended to be a road trip film styled after “Rashomon” (1950) and would have also featured Hugh Jackman’s X-Men character James “Logan” Howlett / Wolverine.
- The Time Variance Authority. It was reported in March 2023 that the Time Variance Authority, Mobius M. Mobius (portrayed by Owen Wilson), and Miss Minutes (voiced by Tara Strong), would be featured in the film.
- Release Date: “Deadpool 3” is scheduled to be released in the United States on May 3, 2024. It will be part of Phase Five of the MCU.
While the exact plot details of “Deadpool 3” are under wraps, it’s known that the film will continue the story of Wade Wilson, the wisecracking mercenary with accelerated healing but severe scarring over his body. The film is described as a “fish out of water” story for Deadpool, as he finds himself dropped into the “very sane world” of the MCU.
Ryan Reynolds returns as Wade Wilson, also known as Deadpool, bringing his characteristic wit and charm to the role. The film also sees the return of Hugh Jackman as James “Logan” Howlett / Wolverine, a character with healing abilities and an adamantium-infused skeleton. Jackman’s return to the role is particularly noteworthy, as he had previously retired from the character.
Morena Baccarin reprises her role as Vanessa, Wilson’s fiancée, and Leslie Uggams returns as Blind Al, Wilson’s blind elderly roommate. Karan Soni is back as Dopinder, Wilson’s admirer and taxi driver, serving as his de facto chauffeur. Brianna Hildebrand and Shioli Kutsuna also return as Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Yukio, respectively.
The film also introduces new characters, with Emma Corrin cast in an undisclosed lead villain role and Matthew Macfadyen in an undisclosed role.
The journey to Deadpool 3 has been a long one, with development on a third Deadpool film beginning at 20th Century Fox as early as November 2016. However, the project was put on hold after Disney’s acquisition of the company in March 2019. The reins were then handed over to Marvel Studios, who began developing a new film with Ryan Reynolds returning to star.
The film’s production is a testament to the collaborative efforts of a talented team. The script was written by Rhett Reese, Paul Wernick, Zeb Wells, Ryan Reynolds, and Shawn Levy, who also directs the film. Wendy Molyneux and Lizzie Molyneux-Logelin joined in November 2020 to write the script, with Reese and Wernick returning from the first two films to rewrite the script by March 2022.
Filming began in late May 2023 in London and at Pinewood Studios in Buckinghamshire, England, and will also occur in Vancouver, Canada. The film is scheduled to be released in the United States on May 3, 2024, as part of Phase Five of the MCU.
Given the success of the previous Deadpool films and the anticipation built around the integration of Deadpool into the MCU, expectations for Deadpool 3 are high. The return of beloved characters, the introduction of new ones, and the promise of a unique blend of humor and action make this film a must-watch for fans of the franchise and the MCU.
Deadpool 3 promises to be a thrilling ride, filled with the humor, action, and unique storytelling that fans have come to expect from the franchise. With a talented cast and crew, a compelling plot, and the exciting integration into the MCU, Deadpool 3 is set to be a standout film in 2024. So, mark your calendars, buckle up, and get ready for the ride of a lifetime with Deadpool 3.
Mark your calendars for May 3, 2024, when Deadpool 3 hits the big screen.Share it baby!